Penns in the Rocks is an early 18th Century redbrick house, built for the
family of William Penn of Pennsylvania. The house is set oposite a natural outcrop of monumental sandstone rocks, and
in the 20th Century was home to Dorothy Wellesley, the Bloomsbury poet and friend of WB Yeates. She erected the temple
which faces the front of the house, and which is dedicated to "The poets who loved Penns". In 1956, after
her death, Penns was acquired by the Gibson family, who live there still. The late Lord Gibson was Chairman of the
Arts Council, and of the National Trust. He and Lady Gibson remodelled the interior of the house, and with the help
of Lanning Roper adapted the garden from Dorothy Wellesley's original design.